explanation

explanation

Monday, January 6, 2014

Week 12

Best week yet.

Holy cow. It was a crazy busy week. Between a few companion exchanges, getting sick, and planning a baptism I almost lost my mind! But I managed to survive somehow! Because here I am writing another email home, another week gone by! So crazy..

Okay. So I'll start from the beginning. So I had to go on a couple exchanges with other missionaries this week (and I have to a LOT more, because Sis. Lawrence is the sister training leader). It was actually way fun! It was fun to be with other sisters and see their teaching/speaking styles! So that was great fun. Now to the good stuff. I told you in my email last week about the girl we met who texted us wanting to learn more about mormons right? Well we had our first lesson with her on wednesday, Jan 1. Her name is 정 다 영 (jong dai young). She's 21, she's a student. She's studying art history and she's the most amazing person. Well we taught the first lesson, we watched the restoration video with her. As watched it I was literally praying the whole time that she would feel the spirit and know the truth of this message. After watching, we asked her how she felt. It can't be described very well in english but she said that she felt special, she felt her heart throbbing! (I kind of got emotional when she said that haha) The whole lesson she was so engaged, and agreeing and nodding to everything that was being said. We committed her to baptism. She accepted. Willingly and excitedly. She's getting baptized on the 25th of this month. I can't believe it. Like am I on The District or something?? Haha this never happens. Especially in Korea. But it did. Miracles are really real. Best new years day of my life! She is incredible. She came to church yesterday and loved it. We have another lesson with her tonight! We're teaching her the plan of salvation.. at the temple. It will be amazing. Meeting her has given me a new excitement in being here. I know I was supposed to come to Korea, even if it was just to find this girl :)

김 동 희's (kim dong hee) baptism yesterday was beautiful. We were so scared that it wouldn't actually happen.. While planning the baptism this week, we found out that there was a possibility that she wouldn't be able to get baptized without the permission of her husband.. who she hasn't talked to in several months and refuses to talk to him. When we told her this she said that she would not get his permission. If she had to get his permission she wouldn't be baptized. I was actually on exchanges with another sister when all of this happened but Sister Lawrence said that it was so crazy.... After talking with Sister Lawrence for a while she finally softened her heart and said that she would consider asking him if she needed to. Then we soon found out that she didn't need his permission. It was definitely a test of her faith! But everything worked out and she was baptized yesterday.. There is nothing like seeing one of God's children enter the waters of baptism! It is truly so amazing :) 

More miracles.. Kim dong hee brought her sister to the baptism, 김 태 희 Kim Tay hee! (I'm struggling with these dang korean names haha oh man). Kim dong hee has tried to talk with her about the gospel before and she never really showed any care or interest. Well yesterday that changed! After the baptism we all went out to dinner and we talked with her after (she speaks great english so I could understand everything, score). She told us she was wanting to come to church every week and be baptized, and feel the happiness that her sister feels. What. stop. okay sista we can hook you up. We gave her a book of mormon and we're meeting with her this week!!!! Also our other investigator 신 성 희 (shin song hee) who hasn't been progressing much, came to the baptism and now she's really interested in baptism.. and yeah.. so that's cool I guess. That's way cool.. I'm just at a loss for words. I'm so grateful to be here in Korea. I love these people so much.
Oh yeah, I sang at the baptism... Not alone thankfully haha. All the missionaries sang "when I am baptised" together in Korean.. I sang a solo in the middle (the first verse in english). It was pretty dang bad haha because I have a cold.. and also I may have started crying. But its fine and no one judged me because I was crying right? It doesn't matter that I sounded like a 12 year old boy going through puberty with my voice cracking.

This week, fasting had a new meaning for me! We started our fast saturday afternoon (so we could eat with kim dong hee Sunday afternoon after the baptism). It was actuallly the hardest fast I've ever done.. I went to bed starving and woke up feeling so sick! I wanted to give up! But I pushed through. I read a talk yesterday morning from a general authority whose name is currently escaping my mind... called "purification". He talked about using the power of fasting as a missionary.. and not just physical fasting, spiritual fasting. It is important to show God our commitment by striving to give up those things that distract us from missionary work, whether it be sleeping in 5 minutes late or thinking about things that distract you and detract from your purpose. So yesterday I started a 40 day spiritual fast. I'm fasting from negative thoughts! I have struggled with negative self destructive thinking ever since I've come out on my mission.. and I have finally realized that these thoughts get you no where. It is toxic. I don't have time to think about not being good enough. I have to just push forward and trust that the Lord will qualify me for the work as a exercise my faith, by being an obedient missionary, talking to as many people as I can every day, and having courage. I have already seen blessings in my life come from this decision, example.. yesterday being a day of miracles out the wazoo.. Ah man its crazy.
That's all I can ever say..

I am so grateful to be here. I love it more and more every day.
I love you all!! 사랑해요!!! Until next week!

홈스 자매 
Sista Hormes :)
my first pic on my new camera yaaaay (even though they found my old one...)

Me and Sister Lawrence! :)

Jong Tai Young, our new miracle investigator :) she's the best

Kim Dong Hee's Baptism!

No comments:

Post a Comment